Tuesday 19 June 2012

Razor Clam/ Ceviche and Pasta

Whenever I go to the Korean or Chinese super market, buy razor clams. I wonder why other super market does not sell this lovely clams at all. I used to catch this clams when I was little, armed with old and bashed yellow aluminium kettle and salt bottle in one hand, walking along the sandy beach, if I see any holes on the sand, sprinkle the salt then magically razor clam or tiny crabs wiggle out, it was such fun outings since our family house is just walking distance to the beach. I used call razor clams as pencil case clams because its shape. well , good old days!! Having  this  my sweet childhood memory, I can not help buying razor clams whenever I see.
I often grill in Winter, with my own pesto, Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs on the top , one day I cook  pasta when I could not find fresh and good small clams, it was fantastic now all my family prefer razor clam pasta than bongole,its sweet taste and slightly meaty than usual clam with plenty of garlic, chilli,and very good olive oil, with dry white wine chopped parsley! DO try!
BUT be careful not over cook the razor clams, if you do it, will be robbery as any seafood, over cooked razor clams are too hard and chewy. Needs 1 minutes only (remember, under cook is much better than over coo in this case) to cook.

I love ceviche as a raw fish loving Korean, ceviche is most refreshing fish dish for me.  As long as fish or scallops, razor clams are fresh,  simply the best for me. As for fish, wild sea bass, skate are the best.
 Razor clam
Razor clam ceviche
Razor clam pasta

I made razor clam ceviche for our special meal first course. it was superb ,so tasty , I love the texture better than scallops for me.  Serve in its own shell, looks so pretty as well.

Wash the razor clam and plunge into boiling water for 2 seconds , if you do not like the idea of cleaning live ones, the flesh pop out and clean, chop, leave aside, 1tbsp lime or lemon juice, 1 tsp lime or lemon zest 1 red chilli chopped, red onion chopped, and mix all in a bowl, season with salt, leave in the fridge 10-15 minutes and serve with a good sourdough bread.
Do not marinate more than 15 minutes, Delicious!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment