This stuffed cucumber kimchi is my favourite Summer kimchi, it is not strong as cabbage kimchi/Baechu kimchi,( many of none koreans think, need a some special acquried taste to appreciate cabbage kimchi,/ what about blue cheese? I'd argue, need a lots of acquried tastes for the blue cheese or any cheese that matter!!!)
I love its refreshing taste and crunch to bite and looks preety on the plate.And more, unlike cabbage kimchi, this is a perfect side dish with pork steak,grilled salmon, lemon chicken with new potatoes or pasta. you have to use mini cucumber for this kimchi because English cucmber contains much more water than mini ones.
- 8 mini cucmber, 2tbs korean chilli flakes, 1tbs crushed garlic, 2tsp grated ginger, 2tsp sugar, 1tbs salted baby shrimps( Korean shop has), mooli(M), 1bunch of spring onion, sea salt.
- Make 15% of salted water in a big bowl by resolving sea salt in the water,( table salt is OK too)
- Carefully slit cucumber in the middle (lengthy way) and leave 5 mm on the back to make pocket to be able to stuffing in .
- Leave cucumbers in the salted water about 3 hours and wash, drain, dry with tea towel, have to take out water as much as you can, set aside.
- Slice mooli thinly and cut like match stick( 5cm long) as spring onion as well. put all the ingredients in a bawl (except salt) and mix well, leave at least 30 minutes . If you need salt, add little by little, mind you cucumbers are already salted. this kimchi is not salty one, more like spicy salad!!
Carfully open the pocket of the cucumber and put stuffing inside evenly by hand or with chop sticks, becareful not to split. just enough to hold(1tbs will be enough ).
- Put in the air tight jar (with robber ring), and store in the fridge, you can eat next day , but eat within a week.
- I found, mini cucmbers are cheaper at Indian shops than other shops